So let's get this out of the way first. I was addicted to porn for over a decade of my life. Yes, I realize that's awkward to admit when I'm in youth ministry.
Setting the Table
I believe the church still often fails to step up in our fight against pornography. We need to help liberate people with the truth and beauty of who they are. Saint John Paul II and his Theology of the Body help with that. Even science has our back on this one. We are in this fight together! I believe this battle alone can transform our communities. If you are not speaking to teens and young adults about this, you’re missing a massive component of your ministry. It is that essential.
Feast or Famine
What prompted me to write about it today is reading an article about a somewhat viral video from our good pals Buzz Feed. Now in fairness, I’ve read many articles, watched videos, and done countless brainless surveys on BuzzFeed like the rest of you. Some are fun, insightful, and/or downright silly. But I can’t let this one go by. Their reach and influence is massive, and we need to try to stem the tide of lies spreading like wildfire.
I want the world to learn the truth about the ridiculous BuzzFeed video about Porn. Lies my friends. Porn doesn’t enlighten you, free you, make you more of a man/women, or help your relationships. It does the exact opposite.
For over a decade I struggled mightily with an addiction to porn and fight everyday to maintain my freedom from it. I’ll share that story in detail later. Short story; porn did nothing for me but limit my experience of life and freedom.
There’s 3 things you can do.
First. Let’s pray for ourselves and everyone that we may all know our inherit beauty and dignity. Pray for those struggling with this addiction. And don’t be afraid to talk about it!
Second. The good people at Fight The New Drug have written and designed a great article in response to the Buzz Feed video. Click below and share. Let this response be as viral as the video.
Third. Check out and share these great resources, websites, and free reading material with those around you.
- Chastity Project: A portal of great articles, videos, and Q&A’s from some of the top speakers in this field; Jason & Crystalina Evert, Christopher West, Chris Stefanick, Sarah Swafford, & Matt Fradd
- Fight the New Drug – Great website that presents the scientific facts about what porn really does.
- The Porn Effect – Website founded by Matt Fradd with amazing resources, accountability, blogs, and testimonials.
- Covenant Eyes – Internet Accountability & Filtering.
- Tobias and Sarah Ministries; Website for Leah Perrault – Theology of the Body Speaker & Writer! (Full Disclosure – she’s my boss. She just happens to also be an amazing writer and speaker! How convenient)
- Delivered – Book by Matt Fradd with true stories of men and women who turned from porn to purity
- The Hardcore Truth – Free Ebook from Matt Fradd & Donny Pauling – Matt and former porn producer Donny Pauling expose 10 myths of porn.
- Your Brain on Porn – Free Ebook from Covenant Eyes – Learn the 5 ways porn warps your brain and Biblical ways to renew it.
Keep up the fight!