John C. Maxwell wrote about the “Law of the Lid” in his bestselling book, The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership.
This law can be summarized in one sentence:
Leadership ability determines a person’s level of effectiveness.
It’s quite simple, really. If your leadership ability is an 8, then the highest you can grow your ministry is to a 7. If you turn that 8 to a 10, then your ministry can grow to a 9. Your leadership is the lid that determines your effectiveness in your ministry.
If you want to grow your ministry, then you need to constantly grow yourself. If you want to grow yourself, then you need a growth plan.
I’ve written about my own personal growth plan, and you are welcome to check it out.
For now, I’d rather share why “Just Keep Growing” has become such an important part of my life and my ministry.
- Creativity: My growth has helped me think more creatively on how I can minister to people, which has allowed me and my team to come up with some cool ministry ideas, some which have worked and some which have not.
- Vision: My growth has helped me have a bigger vision of my ministry and the church. I believe there is so much more we can do and I believe we can do it.
- Recruitment: My growth has helped me recruit others to join my team, both staff and volunteers. This has a lot to do with two things: they see me as someone who has a clear vision of the future and can get creative on how to have that vision become a reality.
- Better Ministry: My growth has helped me become much more effective in ministering to others. I learn new tricks and ideas that I can implement, which sometimes have an immediate effect on my ministry.
- Better understanding of God’s will for my life/Better relationship with God: My growth has allowed me to know myself better and understand for what reasons God created me the way I am. My growth has allowed me to understand my God-given purpose better. My growth has also caused me to realize that I can’t do any of this without God’s assistance, which means I re-learn lesson #1 over and over again.
Just keep growing. It’s an important mantra in my life.
Question: What can personal growth do for you?
Here is a summary of posts for the “The 7 Most Important Leadership Lessons I’ve Learned in Ministry” series: