Recently, Rolheiser suggested a list of 10 major demands that reside inside both human and Christian maturity:
1. Be willing to carry more and more of life’s complexities with empathy
2. Transform jealousy, anger, bitterness and hatred rather than give them back in kind
3. Let suffering soften rather than harden our souls.
5. Live in gratitude.
6. Bless more and curse less.
7. Live in an ever-greater transparency and honesty.
8. Pray both affectively and liturgically.
9. Become ever-wider in our embrace.
10. Stand where you stand and let God protect you
You should read the full article as he expands in each demand. But, two questions come to mind. How might we encourage young people to grow into maturity? More importantly, how are doing ourselves?