Looking for a simple, competitive game that helps people learn both important and trivial things about one another? A little game we call “Scope” is an easy solution.
SUPPLIES: All you need are scopes: a paper towel or toilet paper tube for each person. Don’t have those? Just make a tube out of a sheet of paper and staple/tape it. [Honestly you don’t even the tubes to play this game, making a scope with your hands works just as well, but it’s not quite as funny to watch.]
SETUP: With less than 20 people, have everybody circle up (scopes in hand) in one big circle. Got more than that? Just form circles of 12-16 people (or if you’re rocking small groups that night/weekend/whatever have them join up with another small group to play).
- Have everyone go around the circle and say their name. If you have a bunch of people who don’t know each other (or if you group is pretty slow on the uptake), go around the circle a few times.
- Once names have been shared, have everyone place the scope on their right eye and cover their left eye with their other hand.
- Using their scope, look directly at their own shoes.
- Count off, “1. 2. 3. SCOPE!”
- On “SCOPE!” everyone looks up and at one specific person. If the person you’re scoping is scoping you right back, yell out that person’s name. The person to yell out the correct name first lives on to the next round, the slow one is out. (If the person you’re scoping is scoping someone else, you also live on to the next round.)
- Repeat steps 3 thru 5 until everyone is out.
- If you’re playing with multiple circles, now would be a good time to shuffle everyone around. If you’re playing in small groups, now would be a good time to change up which group they’re paired up with.
- Now play again, but this time have everyone go around the circle and say their name and the month they were born in (or answer one of the other questions listed below). When you match scopes with someone, the first person to yell out the other person’s birth month lives on.
What month were you born in?
What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
What’s the name of your oldest sibling?
What do you call your maternal grandmother?
What’s your favorite sound effect?
What’s your favorite pizza topping?
What’s a song you’re embarrassed to admit you know all the words to?
What was the first screename/username you used online?
What’s the furthest city you’ve been to?
What’s your favorite word that starts with ‘Z’?
What Color is Your Room?
What zoo animal do think you’re the most like?
What’s your favorite fast food restaurant?
What’s your middle name?
What city were you born in?