I was recently watching a video of John C. Maxwell talking about personal growth. He speaks about how much Today Matters (which is the title of his book on personal growth) in which the thesis states that the secret of your success is determined by your daily agenda. Now we can spend time defining success, but that is not the important issue. The important issue is what am I doing today to achieve my version of success.
This idea really hits home for me. What can I do each and everyday that will help me be successful? There are a few things that I have determined to do everyday. I have made these choices, and now my job is to be disciplined enough to follow through:
- I read 30 minutes everyday a book/blog/articles that help me grow personally and professionally. I schedule it in my calendar everyday.
- I spend 10 minutes in scripture everyday to learn more about the Bible and my faith.
- I do not bring work home. Work stays at work. This way, when I get home, I focus my time on my family and friends.
- I eat healthy meals everyday and work out at the gym at least three times a week. I do, however, give myself some cheat days.
- I say “I love you” to my wife everyday.
- I spend time in prayer everyday. It’s typically not very long.
I have no doubt that all these actions have helped me to become a better husband, minister, friend, and follower of God. There is probably more I can do, but these are the few things that I have chosen to be very intentional about.
What have you decided to do each and everyday that helps you move closer and closer to success?